Saturday, May 21, 2011

Blog Post Final Project Complete

Dear Dr. Rodriguez,

I removed the background soundtrack, as you suggested, and yes, it is easier to hear the narration.

I never intended for the text on the screen to be read, except maybe the largest titles, as part of this presentation to inform about my CE proposal, there is simply too much and it is mostly too small.  If someone can read parts of the website, that is fine but the intention is to introduce the purpose, explore the structure, and briefly consider the value and implications of the Social Network for Second Language Learning.  I hope the audience understands my proposal and plans and thinks about the technology and how it may be applied to the purpose of second language learning.


To illuminate my intent and elucidate my choices in this video, I will review some of the multi-media learning principles that were applied.


I used the multimedia principle, people learn better from words and pictures than from words alone (Fletcher & Tobias), by presenting information primarily with words and pictures.


I employed the split-attention principle, people learn better when words and pictures are physically and temporally integrated (Ayres & Sweller), in that the pictures shown at the time of the narration were representations of the content of the narration.


The redundancy principle, people learn better when the same information is not presented in more than one format (Sweller), was utilized in that text simply representing the content of the narration was not used.


The segmenting and modality principles, people learn better when a multimedia message is presented in learned-paced segments rather than as a continuous unit, and people learn better from a multimedia message when the words are spoken rather than written (Mayer), were incorporated in that the presentation is in three parts and the bulk of the information was in narration and not written.


I used the personalization, voice, and image principles, people learn better when the words of a multimedia presentation are in conversational style rather than formal style and when the words are spoken in a standard-accented human voice rather than a machine voice or foreign-accented human voice; but people do not necessarily learn better when the speaker’s image is on the screen (Mayer), by speaking in a normal conversational manner using my regular voice without electronic effects and not including my image in the presentation.



Applying these multi-media learning principles should help to improve communication and increase the viewers content knowledge while reducing their cognitive load.

However, I am not sure of the results. So, I must ask...

Did this video inform about my CE proposal?


4 comments:

  1. James, you know how much I love the idea of your project. As a former ELD teacher, I know how powerful and necessary this authentic communication is to language acquisition. That said, I also really like your video introduction to the project. It's an effective overview of what you're trying to accomplish and the reasoning behind it.

    The details: The rapid-fire images from around the world in Part 1 were outstanding. They were a great complement to your rich narrative voice. Real communication is increasing in speed and classroom exercises are slow and outdated-- point well-portrayed. In part 2, I liked the removal of the background soundtrack. I got your previous reasoning and could hear the "buzz" of social network excitement, but prefer the solo narration. I watched it in both the smaller blog format and in the larger YouTube as well-- both times the website text was small and not readable, but I thought that was a good thing. I wanted to focus on listening to what you were saying and having the text be "readable" would have split my attention. Part 3 was an excellent wrap-up.

    Well done, sir! Thank you SO much for the valuable feedback that you've given me through this project-- it is much appreciated. Have a great summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James - I didn't know what you were planning on doing your research on before watching this video - I think it sounds like a great idea and I am curious to see what you discover through your research. Well Done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your very interesting graphics at the beginning of the video and your plan is a good one. I agree with Melissa, it will be interesting to see what you find. I think that the epals that I'm currently using would go better if the students found their own partners, rather than the teacher assigning them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, your video did inform your CE proposal. The speed of the narrative just right. I was able to catch up and understand everything you said. Great job.

    ReplyDelete